My Mercury metamorphosis is now up on Youtube for your viewing pleasure! This planet was a bit of a struggle for me! I tend to feel the planets as I begin to focus on them for these makeover videos. Interestingly enough Mercury is the final dispositor of my entire birth chart so you think that this planet would be easy! Quite the contrary… doing this makeover made me realize just how strongly Saturn is impacting my Mercury and just how gnarly my T-square between Mercury, Saturn and my Mars really is!
In this video I use makeup, wardrobe and music to transform myself into the planet according to ancient astrological texts. You may view the video here:
As a reminder, each of these makeovers are purely allegorical in nature. The symbolism I present in the video and images helps to instill a deeper understanding of the planets to students and practitioners of astrology. The ancient texts I refer to include Brihat Parashara Hora Shastra as compiled in the Graha Sutras by Ernst Wilhelm. In this text we find the following descriptions of Mercury:
1. Skin. Mercury rules the skin of the body as well as the “skin” of anything. My skin is featured a lot in EVERY makeover video, but I decided to try to do more of a full skin care routine for Mercury which included an eye mask, a green clay mask, a red hibiscus mask, jade rolling, gua sha, a toner and moisturizing cream. It was fairly extensive! I also put on a jacket for a small portion of the video as jackets are a type of covering just like the skin is.
2. Gold is used to propitiate Mercury. There is always one metal that is used in ritual or as a gift to each planet. For Mercury this metal is gold, perhaps due to its yellow color as Mercury is also related to the color yellow. To show this association I used 14k gold eye masks as part of my skin care routine. I also wore gold necklaces.
3. Green & Shiny. While Mercury as a planet doesn’t necessarily relate to a color, the signs that Mercury rules do have color associations. The sign of Gemini is related to the colors green, light green and dark blue, while Virgo rules over shiny colors. This is why I chose green contact lenses for Mercury and shiny lip gloss. This is also why I chose a green face mask for Mercury.
4. Dark Eyeliners & Mascara. Mercury is actually not that bright of a planet and is known as Shyamanga or “dark-limbed.” Mercury isn’t as over the top as Saturn or even Rahu, but Mercury would use dark eyeliners, mascara and dye its hair dark in order to accentuate its natural beauty. Mercury in the horoscope also gives dark hair naturally. This is why I chose a darker makeup look as well as a dark haired wig for Mercury.
5. Looking Like New. Mercury doesn’t necessarily insist on having everything brand new, but Mercury will take excellent care of the things it does own in order to keep them looking like new. For this look I made sure to only wear clothes that I had on hand that were in excellent condition. Unfortunately, I only had really old shoes so I had to purchase some new ones… I made sure to wear them for a day or two before shooting the video though & I didn’t beat them up too badly. I took pretty good care of them in those two days!
6. Sideways looking. Sideways looking planets look in all directions to discover new opportunities that might be available to them. They are kind of opportunists. Mercury is always on the lookout for opportunities that can help it to be more efficient and wants to find things to invest in. Sideways planets are also more auditory in nature. Mercury would hear rather than see or feel its thoughts. I didn’t get many good photos of Mercury looking sideways, but I really like this one!
7. The Earth. Manifested Reality. Mercury rules the Earth element. It is through the Earth element that Vishnu is able to take on many different forms. Only Mercury is able to differentiate the real from the false while living on the Earth plane. This makes Mercury an extremely valuable planet to have healthy in the birth chart, especially in terms of spiritual growth. I took some notes from my makeover video with Mars who is born of the Earth and associated with a deep red color and chose to use a second mask in an Earthy red for Mercury. This also gave Mercury a dualistic look which as you will see is also very important.
8. Places of Play & Sport. Mercury rules over any places related to play and sport such as sporting fields, tennis courts, casinos, playgrounds, recreational centers, etc. I took some photos while next to sporting items in Target in order to show Mercury’s relationship to play & sport. Although, I ended up next to the bikes which on second thought is a bit more Venusian (vehicles), but I do have Mercury and Venus conjuct in my chart! I also wore a really cute domino necklace made by fellow Youtuber Caroline Ricke. This is also why I chose to wear playing card earrings, gifted to me by one of my former students of the Cards of Truth, Hien. Thank you Hien ♡!
9. Inhabiting Villages of the Wise. Mercury would more likely live in a city than anywhere else. Mercury wants to be in a place of action and stimulation. He also rules over man-made items rather than natural items. I wear manmade items in almost all of my makeover videos as we live in a very unnatural world so there is nothing specific to note in that category. However, due to Mercury’s association with villages of the wise I chose to shoot some photos out in about at Target. As we will see later, Target was a great choice for Mercury for several reasons.
10. Umami. Each planet rules over a different taste. Mercury rules over the umami flavor which includes foods such as soy sauce, nutritional yeast and seaweed. This is why I snacked on seaweed during the makeover. Umami is a flavor that makes all other flavors taste better. This reminds me as well of the fact that Mercury is related to the Earth element and also the number 4 which is the ALL. Mercury represents a culmination of sorts.
`11. Smell. Mercury rules over our sense of smell, sweet smells in particular. I showed this by featuring a sweet-smelling French perfume in the video.
12. Communication. Mercury also rules over communication as it rules over our intelligence and skills. This is why I put a French song in the video, chose a French perfume and also why I displayed the lyrics of the song I was singing on the screen. I also of course spoke in English. I wanted to show the complexity of the different ways in which humans can communicate… even with entirely different languages! I also showed my cellphone in a lot of the filming, but edited most of it out!
13. Laughter. Mercury is such a FUN planet. As soon as I started transforming into Mercury, I could feel the fun and freedom of this planet. The ancient texts even say that Mercury is in the shape of a bird. Imagine feeling as light as a bird. I felt so free! Mercury can be so pleasant and also so FUNNY. I had a lot of good fake and REAL laughs during this makeover video and I made sure to edit a lot of them in and also snap some good photos & screenshots. Mercury as a planet can bring such amazing fun and joy into our lives. It is after all, the “young sovereign,” and can represent younger people in our lives. It’s the young people that are often the best at having fun and being carefree!
14. Metaphorical Speech. The ancient text clearly states that Mercury rules over “metaphorical speech.” He enjoys wit and humor. This is one of the reasons why I made Mercury laugh so much and also put the lyrics of the song I was singing onto the screen. I also showed the pages of writing in a book I was reading. The use of metaphors is a sign of intelligence, which is another aspect of Mercury. Without Mercury we wouldn’t be so smart.
15. Mimicry. Most children learn language through mimicry and though the ancient texts don’t clearly state that Mercury mimics or copies, it is well known that Mercury is an excellent planet for actors as Mercury has the ability to take on many different energies. Perhaps this is related to the malleable nature of Mercury. Whenever Mercury is next to a cruel planet it becomes crueler, when next to a gentle planet he becomes more gentle! I wanted to show this mimicry in a very clear way so the first song of the makeover video is actually a cover of the song “Mice” by Billie Marten. The lyrics in particular are very Mercurial, which is another reason why I wanted to feature the song lyrics so prominently in this video.
Watch me as I go and separate the ones that I am made to love and hate and slowly counting down my body weight, I’m tired.
Mercury rules over “buddhi” the discerning intelligence which can tell what is real from what is not real. The lyrics of this song also talk about trying to discern what is meant for the singer versus what is not meant for her. Mercury is the intellect, it is our self understanding. I feel that this song takes the listener through the singer’s process of self understanding and re-evaluation of reality.
She even talks about “skin” and “covers” in this lyrics as well as the Earth element:
It covers my skin, the Earth pulls me back
It was the absolute perfect song for Mercury! I also loved that I was able to use music to represent Mercury in this way as Mercury is after all the child of the Moon.
16. Dark Linen. Mercury would be dressed in dark linen. The colors suggested for Mercury are blue, black and chocolate brown. This goes back to what I said earlier about Mercury not being a very bright planet. I mostly wore black aside from the chocolate brown jacket that I wear in part of the video.
17. Duality. This is another quality that rings so loud and clear for me, but I was unable to find a perfect quote for it in the ancient texts. Mercury as ruler of Gemini shows us two paths as Gemini is symbolic of “the twins.” There have been many speculations as to who these twins are, their gender and their symbolism, but one thing is very clear in Vedic astrology- one is holding a lute and the other a club.
Based off of my contemplations I believe that the twins are both male and that the the twins show us two different paths for using our creative energy in the world- the path of creativity (the lute) or destruction (the club). Whereas the Moon might represent the female in Vedic Astrology and the Sun the male, Mercury shows us a different type of polarity which is found within ourselves. It is important for us to be able to use our creative energy in both creative and destructive ways when necessary in our life. Our creative energy is a powerful force. You will see for instance Mercury and the sign of Gemini related to the caduceus, the staff with snakes which is also a symbol used to describe kundalini energy- our creative energy as described in spiritual terms.
Mercury is also known as Buddha “the awakened.” With Mercury and with the understanding of our own creative energy we have a chance at enlightenment. I believe the dualistic nature of Mercury allows us to fully integrate and understand all aspects of who we are, balance our creative energies and go through a process of involution and later, evolution in order to see the truth of reality.
Mercury could also have this dualistic nature due to it being the child of the Moon.
18. Vaishya. Mercury is a member of the Vaishya or merchant caste. Mercury also rules business. Since we use gold to propitiate Mercury I found it appropriate to wear gold coin necklaces as Mercury. I also chose to wear two necklaces to signify the dualistic aspect of Mercury. I took photos as Mercury in Target as well, which is a big store! Vaishyas also are the entertainers of the world, so I took photos next to the television sets as they flashed the logo for the store.
19. Child of the Moon. Mercury is the child of the Moon as I have mentioned several times. Mercury has a few names that show this association, Induputra, Somaja and Vidhusuta, and Saumya which all mean “child of the moon” with Saumya meaning, “belonging to the Moon.” The Moon gives us consciousness and Mercury is the intellect which is a natural byproduct of having consciousness. I also find it so interesting that numerologically Mercury is related to the number 4, while Moon rules the 4th sign of Cancer! In the earlier parts of the article I also explain some things I observed that could potentially show more of Mercury and the Moon’s associations. In order to show this association I was reading a book all about the Moon in the video!
20. Yellow. This association comes from the description of Mercury I posted at the beginning of this article. Yellow is a color similar to gold and gold is also used to propitiate Mercury. There is no description as to why Mercury would be yellow, but Mercury often travels near the Sun and the Sun who is so brilliant in his light might often caste a yellowish glow on the young sovereign! We may never truly know the reason, but I chose to do quick edits with a yellow tint in the video to at least show this association.
21. Eunuch. Mercury is neither gender which is why I keep referring to Mercury as “it” in this article. I didn’t change my gender completely for this video, but I did choose a style that was more androgynous- black shorts, black bodysuit and sneakers.
22. Handling a Sword. This also comes from the quote I posted in the beginning of the article. Mercury would handle a sword. Mercury’s sword is symbolic of its honor, something he maintains even in times of conflict. To show a sword I used these cute heron scissors I bought while I was in Chile.
FINAL IMAGE OF MERCURY ☿. Out of all honesty, I chose this image of Mercury as it was the least blurry! I tried very hard to get an image of Mercury, looking sideways in full out laughter, but to laugh one must move and to move means you don’t get as great of a photo. As you know Mercury is a fast moving planet! So, this image shows Mercury without the laughter and without looking sideways, but I still feel it is appropriate as Mercury is such a malleable planet. I feel that Mercury gets that adaptability from its parent, the Moon. In this image we very clearly see the gold coins representing Mercury’s caste and propitiation, the dark linen, hair and makeup as well as Mercury’s striking green eyes & shiny lips.
Other important considerations:
- Starry. I couldn’t find any cute star earrings or accessories for Mercury! However, Mercury is a starry planet. Starry planets are the arms and legs in which the individual uses to perform its activities. Mercury represents the speech. The self uses speech in order to communicate.
- Mercury would have a very well-balanced body type. Since I kind of already have a fairly balanced body type I didn’t really need to point this out or show this. Although, I may be a bit more on the vata side.
- Mercury’s complexion is like that of brown grass, which would be golden brown. I already had a fairly nice tan coming into making this video so I didn’t have a very creative way of showing that association.
✧ To learn more about the planets, please check out the fantastic book, Graha Sutras by my teacher Ernst Wilhelm. You may also check out the other astrological makeovers in this series, by visiting my Youtube Channel Listen to the Stars.
If you are interested in booking an astrology, tarot, Cards of Truth reading or coaching session with me, you may do so at my website: http://www.nicolebrenny.com ♡