As part of my astrological makeover series, I have turned myself into Venus! This is the accompanying article to the video I made where I document my entire makeover. You may watch that here:
For this transformation I chose to reference the ancient texts, especially Brihat Parashara Hora Shastra. In this text we find the following description of Venus:
Pleasing, lovely formed, the most splendid and beautifully eyed is Venus, who is poetical, abounding in Kapha, of Vata nature and curly haired.”
I transformed myself into Venus by changing my hair, eye color, clothing and environment. In this post I will take you through each step of my process and explain why I chose what I did (Venus is the planet of decision making after all). I will also provide any additional information that I wasn’t able to provide in the short youtube video. A healthy Venus makes great decisions so let’s hope that Venus was on my side ☺︎!
1. Natural Beauty. Venus is a natural beauty, because of this I used a clay mask all over my skin to show that a healthy Venus would most likely just take care of her skin and opt to wear very little makeup or no makeup at all. Venus is related to the Earth element through her rulership of Taurus. Rohini is a lunar mansion residing in Taurus and is the “red growing of Prajapati deity.” This is why I have associated the red clay of the Earth as symbolic of Venus although this red clay could have very well symbolized Mars ♂ a planetary enemy to Venus.
I also showed myself drinking natural spring water. This is again symbolic of Venus’ natural beauty as well as Venus’ watery nature. The light pink shirt I am wearing has no symbolic reference to Venus. Light pink is actually associated with another color. This is why I later on switched out this shirt for another one.
2. Spirals. Venus rules over all spirals. This includes the spiral of a seashell as well as the spiral of the wind- meaning tornadoes! This rulership of spirals gives Venus a naturally spiral hairstyle. In this case I used straws to curl my hair overnight and give myself a beautifully curly hairstyle that is very far from my natural waves.
I didn’t just leave the spirals to my hair. I chose a seashell necklace to continue the theme.
3. Taste. Speaking of straws, Venus actually rules over taste! The type of taste that Venus rules over is sour. In the video I show myself drinking a smoothie and water. If I were to go back and remake the video I may have chosen to drink a nice cold lemonade. That being said I think it was really funny that I made my spiral curls out of straws- genius devices that deliver taste and I had to wear them overnight while sleeping as you will see later that Venus rules bedrooms!
4. Most Beautifully Eyed. Beauty is very subjective and you can’t will yourself into a more beautiful set of eyes, so I followed what all beauty gurus do and made sure I had a nice set of false lashes followed with a perfectly pretty winged liner. I use a quite natural set of lashes and eyeshadow as my liner as to keep things natural.
I also shifted my eye color dramatically by wearing colored contacts in a beautiful pale blue. This gives me an otherworldly appearance that elevates my look onto a level that is far from what I would normally look like. I chose blue for Venus as a way to relate back to Venus’ watery nature.
5. Dark Blue and White. Venus doesn’t represent once specific color, but Venus’ signs do. Venus rules over Taurus and Libra. Taurus rules over the color white and Libra rules over dark blue, the blue of the sky after the sun sets. I chose white as a my highlight color along my cheekbones, nose and cupid’s bow. Dark blue was my color of choice for my winged liner.
6. Accha “not shaded, clear.” Venus has the name Accha, which means not shaded or clear. In accordance with this meaning Venus rules over all clear things like lenses. Due to this I made sure that contact lenses were an important part of the look and I wore clear glasses as well. In a part of the video I also take out an old film camera, again emphasizing Venus’ rulership of clear things.
7. A poet & a brahmin. Venus is a poet and a brahmin. Being a a part of the brahmin caste Venus is interested in knowledge. Venus is one of the two gurus in astrology- the other being Jupiter. Venus uses her capacity for wisdom to counsel in a very practical “of this world” way. Venus advises on day to day matters and can offer real life advice.
The poetical ability of Venus, known in Sanskrit as kavya, is the ability for insight, to see meaning where there is none or to know what will happen before it does. Being a poet, Venus is concerned in finding meaning where meaning isn’t so obvious. In this way Venus can easily see into the unknown realms and make predictions. Venus is a wonderful prophet and wise at that! She can find the deeper meaning in anything. This is why in the images I chose for Venus I was reading astrology and French poetry books. This is also another reason I thought that wearing glasses would be important for Venus.
10. Starry Planet. Venus is a starry planet. This means that Venus is a quality of oneself but is also a planet that the self uses to perform activities in the world. Venus is literally an arm and leg of the self.
The self uses Venus to evaluate opportunities and to make decisions. Venus always wants to make the best decision. To represent Venus’ starry nature I chose clear star shaped earrings.
11. Devotional. Venus is devotional! I wasn’t able to capture as much of this quality in the video, but I have taken a picture specifically for Venus that does indeed capture that quality.
12. The Bedroom. Each planet rules over a certain type of environment. Venus in particular rules over the bedroom. I wasn’t able to shoot my whole makeup look in my bedroom, but I provided many photos of Venus in the bedroom, on white and dark blue bedding, being illuminated in accordance with Venus’ name shukra, which means “lucid, clear and bright.” I also took several photos in relaxed poses as Venus is the planet of rejuvenation.
13. Natural Linen. Each planet rules over a certain type of clothing. For Venus this is white linen although more specifically Venus would rule over a linen that is the natural color of the fiber and not bleached at all. Due to these associations I chose a romantic linen dress in its natural off-white shade. This dress also very obviously shows off the curves that I have and is very feminine, which helps to represent Venus as a feminine planet. Venus also rules over well made clothes. This was a very well made dress that came with a large price tag. Venus wants the best in everything, so I made sure to choose the best dress for the job.
14. Sideways Looking. Finally we have the image that best represents Venus in all of her qualities. In the image below we have Venus with her spiral hair, in natural makeup including an nude lip, a natural linen gown and seashell necklace. I am resting in Venus’ natural environment- a bedroom in white and dark blue. I have light shining behind me showing Venus’ brightness, am holding a crystal in my hand and have clear glasses hanging off of my dress to represent Venus’ rulership of all things clear. I have a poetry book by my side to represent Venus’ relationship to poetry and am wearing star shaped earrings like the starry planet that Venus is. Finally I am sideways looking as my final pose. Sideways looking grahas (planets) look everywhere in order to see all of the different possibilities and opportunities there may be. As Venus is a planet of decision making this is very important! As an artistic touch I have also used a heart shaped pillow to represent Venus’ rulership of love and relationships. This is my final image of Venus. ♀
Alex Johnson is a wonderful photographer who took all of the photos of me in my bedroom. You may check out his website here.